The National Geographic Nature Photographer of the Year contest runs every year. The contest looks for spectacular pictures that tell the story of animals, lands, and environments around the world. There are four distinct categories that include: wildlife, landscapes, aerials, and underwater.
The grand-prize winner receives $7,500 and the winning image is published in an issue of National Geographic magazine. A first-place winner is also selected from each of the four categories and receives a sum of $2,500.
Here are some of our favorite submissions so far, including the photographer’s caption and title for the photograph:
1. Étirement by Joel Fischer
2. A Beautiful Morning In Hallstat by Shanof K.
3. Tornado by Anuar PatjaneFloriuk
4. A Mother Bear And A Cub by Anat Gutman
5. The Lone Photographer by Albert Hong
6. Foraging by Steven Kovacs
7. Sea And Salt by Wellington Rodrigues
8. Family Reunion by Sonalini Khetrapal
9. Shadow Warrior by Takashi
10. One Happy Seal Model by Lars Lykke
11. Kalsoy by Wojciech Kruczynski
12. Liquid Bear by Mike Korostelev
13. Sunrise by Witold Ziomek
14. The Big Meringue by Placido Faranda
15. Light At The End Of The Tunnel by Tom Cannon
16. Striped Sunset by Manish Mandhyan
Source: National Geographic